Thursday, January 13, 2011

Home-made Tron party

Before December even rolled around I was already planning on giving Ian a Lego party. To include a cake that looked like a giant Lego brick.  I even got some good advice from a friend who makes cakes for a living.  But that all changed when Ian in the middle of December announced he wanted a Tron birthday party.  Whoa, stop the press, hold everything. TRON?!?  Yep, his exact words were, "I want everything Tron, I love Tron"  Umm, sure, okay.  Panic, regroup and hit the internet.  Do you know there isn't a whole lot of Tron things out there, despite the mega huge movie that came out.  Well, thankfully, there were a few cool things and ideas on the net from the Disney Family Fun website, like invitations.  And, there were some small toys available at Target, so that would do for cake toppers and a neat toy after wards.
So the idea was to keep it simple and not go all out, I didn't have enough energy nor resources for a huge party.  We invited our neighbor's kids, our close friends who just moved to Colorado and Ian's best buddy from church.  That was enough for me.  I got some goodie bags, made the cake (a simple yellow cake with butter cream frosting colored dark and blue glitter gel for the "grid") ice cream and a few snackie foods. 
We had made these cool "light discs" for the toss the ring kind of game, and I had printed off birthday bingo. But as it turned out...that all went to pot, when the boys decided to play Wii and the girls were happy as larks playing in the basement with the play kitchen.  It wasn't very structured as I was planning, but I think there was fun to be had. 
home made Tron cake

Not the best job, but I have to admit, I hate frosting cakes

just a tad embarrassed by everyone singing to him

Didn't quite get all the kiddos in the shot

the problem with eating darkly dyed frosting, purple lips

Ian opening his gifts

Ian with his buddy Teddy

Those two kiddos are two peas in the pod



One of his favorite gifts was from his pal Teddy, 2 new nerf guns...in no time my living room was turned into a war zone, with tiny orange bullets flying all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment